Fort Seward fire hall renovationAdd to Cart Add to Lightbox Download
This tobacco tin was found in the interior of a sealed wall during the restoration of the fire hall, located on the grounds of the former U.S. Army post, Fort William H. Seward in Haines, Alaska.
According to the National Historic Landmarks register the fort was "established by Executive Order on December 31, 1898, and first known as Haines Mission, Fort Seward was the last of 11 military posts established in Alaska during the territory's gold rushes between 1897 and 1904. Founded for the purpose of preserving law and order among the gold seekers, the fort also provided a U.S. military presence in Alaska during boundary disputes with Canada. The only active military post in Alaska between 1925 and 1940, the fort was closed at the end of World War II.”
Through the years, the historic Fort Seward area has been referred to as Fort William H. Seward, Chilkoot Barracks, and Port Chilkoot.
The fire hall was restored over a two-year period by owners Joanne Waterman and Phyllis Sage who also own the fort’s original guardhouse located next door to the fire hall. That building, now known as the Alaska Guardhouse, is a bed and breakfast.
- Fort Seward fire hall renovation-11.jpg
- © John L. Dengler
- Image Size
- 5494x8256 / 21.1MB
Alaska America Chilkoot Barracks Fort Seward Fort Seward fire hall Fort Seward firehall Fort William H. Seward Fort William H. Seward fire hall Fort William H. Seward firehall Ft. Seward Ft. Seward fire hall Ft. Seward firehall Haines North America Port Chilkoot Port Chilkoot Volunteer Fire Department Port Chilkoot fire hall U.S. US USA United States United States of America fire brigade fire department horizontal local government no people nobody southeast Alaska travel travel destination
- Contained in galleries