Eldred Rock LighthouseAdd to Cart Add to Lightbox Download
The Eldred Rock Lighthouse sits on a small island located on the Lynn Canal in southeast Alaska near Haines.
Construction of the lighthouse was finished in 1906 after shipwrecks, notably the wreck of the Clara Nevada, occurred in the area during the 1898 Klondike gold rush. The light was automated by the U.S. Coast Guard in 1973 with the original fourth-order Fresnel lens moved to the Haines Sheldon Museum.
In 2014, the Eldred Rock Lighthouse Preservation Association was formed to acquire, rehabilitate, and promote the lighthouse with the goal of establishing a visitor’s center and maritime museum. The Association for the Preservation of the Eldred Rock Lighthouse has been working hard to bring the lighthouse back to life, along with the history of the region.
- Eldred Rock Lighthouse.jpg
- © John L. Dengler
- Image Size
- 8256x5500 / 23.1MB
- Contained in galleries
- Haines, Alaska